About 20/20 Leadership
The mission of 20/20 Leadership is to educate and expose students to community issues, teach personal and leadership skills and build community-wide relationships, all of which encourages success in life. Ultimately 20/20 Leadership creates a stronger work force and a more involved community.
20/20 Leadership History
The 20/20 Leadership program began in 1993 with 36 students and a budget of $3,500 for the 9-month program junior program. In 2002, the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation and the Garth Brooks “Teammates for Kids” provided grants to expand the program from Wyandotte into Jackson County, Missouri and Johnson County in Kansas. In 2003, the decision to file for the 501(c)(3) status was made by the Board of Directors and approval notification was received six weeks later. The Sprint Foundation has supported program development and growth in both Kansas and Missouri and promoted the development of the 20/20 Olympics.
The Sprint Foundation continues to support 20/20 Leadership along with other foundations and businesses. In 2010, the Kansas City Royals awarded 20/20 Leadership the State Farm Insurance Good Neighbor Award.
2011-2012 291 students
2010-2011 280 students
Uniqueness of the 20/20 Leadership Program:
• Bi-state program, multi-county
• Students learn about their community and the Greater Kansas City Metropolitan area
• Breaks down social, racial, economic, academic and geographic barriers
• GPA is not an admission criteria – program designed for the 2.0 – 4.0 GPA student
• School administrators and counselors endorse and support the program. School
• Administration and staff receive monthly program communication and aware of student attendance
• Transportation provided to and from school
• Assist student in career and workforce development
• Scholarship information, personal statements, essay workshops provided
• Provide support letters for students
• 120 educational hours received during 15-month program
• Program involves individuals from ages 16-35
• 2,650 Alumni
• Assist alumni with resumes, networking and placement
• Two $500 scholarships are provide to graduating seniors by 20/20 Leadership Alumni
• More than 7,000 hours volunteer hours contributed through community projects since 1993
• 20/20 Leadership was selected by the Kansas City Royals as the State Farm Good Neighbor Award recipient for April 2010
- Junior Leaders—A 10-month program
- Senior Leaders—A 5-month program
- Alumni Leaders—Graduates return to program as trainers, mentors, board members, advisory and committee members. Two $500 scholarships are provided students who successfully complete the program.
- Actively participate in the program by attending monthly meetings
- Sit with someone from another school
- Have fun
*2 unexcused absences is reason for dismissal. Learning to RSVP teaches “personal responsibility” and are not accepted from parents.
Who can participate?
The 20/20 Leadership program is designed for students of all academic levels but focus is primarily on the 2.0-4.0 GPA student from moderate to low income families. Candidates must complete a 3-page application process (during their sophomore year). Applications are reviewed and selected by a steering committee consisting of members of 20/20 Leadership alumni. To enter the Senior Leaders program, students must successfully complete the Junior Leaders program and submit a 3-page application and one reference letter.